Mama’s Coin Factory supports a network of women’s self-help groups in poor rural and urban communities in South Africa by providing them with the tools and resources to actively participate in their own development and build caring, vibrant and self-reliant communities.
Mama’s Coin Factory aims to bring positive and sustainable change in the lives of grassroots women and their communities by empowering women to:
- Mobilize around their own resources and utilize existing skills, life experiences and relationships.
- Cultivate a space for social structure, leadership and self-reliance
- Design sustainable development solutions that are community-centred and women-led.
Our interventions are based on our belief that every person has the inherent ability to manage their own development and that stronger women equal stronger communities. With this in mind we concentrate our efforts on:
- Providing women with access & opportunities to earn a living (though our Sustainable livelihoods programme & in-house income-generation project)
- Equipping women to address issues relating to Gender-based violence and HIV/AIDS (this is done through our Community-Based Health & wellness programme)
- Promoting Women’s leadership & Governance (primarly through Networking, Advocacy and Lobbying)
The project aims to develop and implement reliable, convenient and creative models of coin collection to create sustainability for the grassroots women’s savings network. Mama’s Coin Factory creates a space for you to support an established gassroots women’s movement that is actively building caring, vibrant and sustainable communities.
Mama’s Coin Factory is currently housed in CORC.