The Community Organisation Resource Centre (CORC) is an NPO that supports the social, strategic and administrative practices of the Federation of the Urban and Rural Poor (FEDUP) and the Informal Settlement Network (ISN). These include savings, data collection, peer-to-peer learning exchanges, community-based planning and engaging with government and other actors. CORC’s mission is to support poor communities that are willing and able to help themselves.
The project and the vacancy
CORC is conducting community based planning ahead of informal settlement upgrading in two informal settlements in Stellenbosch Municipality as part of an agreement with Western Cape Department for Human Settlements regarding the Department’s Informal Settlement Support Plan (ISSP). The vacancy includes documenting the various phases of each of the two upgrading projects and, ideally, contributing to report writing for milestone deliverables of each project.
Duration: April 2019 – 31 August 2019 | 20-30 hours per week
Project documenting responsibilities
- Document all meetings related to the 2 projects in Stellenbosch Municipality. This involves taking minutes, photos and soft and hard copy filing. The filing needs to be aligned with CORC’s filing system. Update the project status sheet with each action in the project and report to project coordinators.
- Within 48 hours of meeting send minutes to the Project Coordinators for distribution.
- Expected to attend all Project Steering Committee meetings as well as meetings and workshops with community, assist with workshop material where necessary i.e. printing out of information, compiling community feedback material etc.
- Ensure completion of attendance register and filing.
- Liaise with the CORC finance and admin team to make sure all relevant documentation is filed and accessible.
- From time to time the person is expected to capture input on the flipchart paper and convert this into typed up minutes afterwards.
- Both projects are quite meeting intensive and it may involve after hours meetings as well as weekends.
Report writing responsibilities
- Complete reports either drafted by CORC person or write report to be finalised by CORC person
- Report writing may include the following:
- Inception Report which includes the detailed project implementation plan and possibly the settlement profile where applicable.
- Report on the workshops related to capacity building and leadership training
- Enumeration report
- Close out report which provides a summary of the process, lessons learnt and recommendations.
- Liaise with graphic designer for content and layout, and proof reading / editing for final reports
- Experience working in urban / informal settlement context
- Excellent written English and report writing experience
- Knowledge of additional languages advantageous
- Drivers license, willingness and ability to drive between Cape Town, Stellenbosch and Franschoek
- Attention to detail, taking initiative and see gaps, forward thinking, ability to assimilate and analyse information, skilled social communication with different stakeholders (community, government officials etc).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
To apply, submit a CV, contact details of two referees and a motivation letter to Khashifa Chilwan: firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 Friday, 12 April 2019. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.